Monday, June 16, 2014

Stand Firm





I haven’t written a blog in about a month and honestly it’s been due to laziness. I can’t even lie to y’all, but I’m back so don’t fret. I have been working my ass off, but my energy has been focused on the wrong things. I’ve been working long hours at my 9-5 and just trying to be the best that I can be there…but as you know I really want to run my own corporation. And I have been neglecting my business and my other endeavors. So it’s time to regain focus. And that’s the purpose of this blog. Finding your purpose and staying focused.


How do you find your purpose? That’s not an easy question, first ask yourself, “what does success look like to me?” Success to me was waking up and checking my work email from home somewhere near the old market. It was my girlfriend asking me to do something and not having to enter a PTO request a month in advance to guarantee that I had it off. Success also meant having my own building and employing 10-15 people. So sit there and ask yourself, “what does success look like to me?” Then the next question you should ask is “how do I get there?” and that question ties in to “finding your purpose”. You can make a list of things that you like/love to do. I am not going to tell you to make a list of things that you’re good at. Why? Because you could be good at scooping up dog sh*t with your left hand while your eyes are closed hopping on one foot, but would you want to do that for a living? Iggzackly. And you don’t have to be good at the things that you love to do, but you can outwork the competition while you continue to get better.


How did I find my purpose? Well, I had local artist hit me up on twitter, email, and FB asking for ideas on how to promote their album/mixtape or ways to shoot their videos and I would give out that info for free. I even went as far as creating storyboards for artists, but a lot of the times my views were too HypeWilliams for that $300 video shoot budget. I also love helping people reach their goals. So I figured why not start a consulting firm on top of doing marketing and promo? There aren’t too many firms that offer all of that under one umbrella. 


Enough about me, back to you…so did you find your purpose? If so, don’t let it sit on your mind. You have to act on it and act fast. There will never be the right time to do something. Think about when that alarm clock goes off for you to go to work or when Sunday night hits and all you think about is Monday morning. You know it’s not the right time for you, but you have bills and you need to pay them so you make it the right time to go and get that bread. You have to strike while the iron is still hot so to speak or when the idea is still fresh in your mind and you’re still very excited about the possibilities of your dream becoming a reality. You have to be solid as a rock when you decide on what you want to do or who you want to be. The universe will maneuver around you, of course there will be obstacles, nothing comes easy in this life. But once you stand firm and stay focused, your vision will become reality. 


I have so many talented friends that are not putting that work in, so I hope it reaches them and inspires them. Do not let your talent and gifts to the world go to the grave with you. Share them! The American Dream is doing what you love and being able to make a living off of that. Quit settling. Thrive.


We Working.

Twitter: @OmahaHostage

No comments:

Post a Comment